Intermediate/Advanced Map Reading Course
This map reading course is aimed at small groups of people who are fairly confident at navigating along footpaths and bridleways but would like to develop their skills further and be confident navigating off the normal tracks.
Our instructors will identify your strengths and weaknesses to be able to focus on key areas for improvement. This practical course will give you plenty of opportunities to increase your confidence with the skills you have learnt.
For a group of 6 people this course costs just £35 per person. For smaller or larger groups please contact us for a clear price on 01629 814557 or contact us here.
The dates below are just suggestiosn and we can take bookings at any time of the year.
- Build on previous knowledge to develop good practice
- Become confident in your own ability
- Better ratios than many other providers
- Understand and apply components such as 'aiming off' and 'attack points' and use them in different terrains
- Use a compass to follow bearings and check various features on the map and the ground
- Employ simple relocation strategies when lost
- Judge distance on the map and on the ground accurately
- Use contour features to aid navigation
Our Navigation courses can start from our main office on the edge of the Peak District. We can quickly identify the areas that people want to improve on before setting off for one of many areas to develop your map reading ability.
After this course people have more navigational tools to help them as well as a more confident and decisive approach to the art of navigation.
Know the fundamentals of map reading and be able to apply them.
Suitable clothing to keep you warm and dry for the expected weather (check a forecast for this area or call us) carry a waterproof or windproof jacket. You will need a pair of walking boots for most of the day, a packed lunch and drink. Bring some cash as we can always find a café for tea and cake. Maps (OL1 & OL24) and compasses can be provided.